Tuesday 26 July 2011

High Voltage 2011

As you all know we were at High Voltage this past weekend checking out bands both metal and non metal, every band I saw there was a first so it was great to check out loads of bands that I had heard of but not seen and those which I hadn't heard of! For this review I will stick to the Metal Bands which I saw:
Sylosis: These guys are seriously on a role! Their crushing music gripped an avid audience right from the start of "Empyreal". The band were on top form and although only having a 45min set this did not stop them from having a good time. The set was combined with songs from their new album "Edge of the Earth" and their first album"Conclusion of an age". Although playing to a varied audience (many who had just come to see prog bands) Sylosis definitely won over some new fans with their performance.
Judas Priest: From a young age I was encouraged not to listen to Judas Priest by my dad who thought they were the devils spawn so I can't tell you an awful lot about them (I would like to point out that my Dad isn't tough on what I can or can't listen to now as I am my own person and heavy metal has won him over!), however for a band who has been going for nearly 40 years Priest certainly pull out all the stops to put on a good show. Rob Halford's vocal range is still there, and captivates the audience with his signature vocal style. New boy Richie Faulkner was received with a warm welcome and even had something over Glen Tipton at points in the show, nevertheless Judas Priest were incredible musically and visually with pyrotechnics and light shows which by themselves would keep anyone mesmerised!
Dream Theater: The pressure was on. Every one was eager to see how Mike Mangini would fit into the band but even before they hit the stage, Mangini's monstrous kit was put on-stage, this was a sight that made anyone weak at the knees. The band took to the stage and effortlessly romped through their 2 hour set! Mangini performed a five minute long solo which was just phenomenal, proving why Dream Theater chose him to fill Portnoy's shoes. Precision is paramount in a Dream Theater set with everyone having to be in time with each other but this was not a problem as the band were completely in tune with each other! James LaBrie pointed out that the band would be back in the future to support their up coming release "A Dramatic Turn of Events" which is due out 12th September! I was so happy that I had seen this sceptical and was sad to leave early to catch a train home! It seems no matter what you throw at Dream Theater they are unstoppable and therefore are not to be missed! Certainly the highlight of the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment